CNN selects the best (and worst) movie battle scenes0 Comments
Posted Monday, April 9, 2007 at 3:12 PM Central
by Tim Briscoe
Battle scenes in movies ride a fine line. Orchestrate the chaos well and your movie will live forever in infamy. Present the action poorly and the flick will suffer a quick death to critics.
I guess it's like real life in that way.
Not to be outdone by all the list-lovers out there, CNN has presented their list of the best -- and worst -- battle scenes in movie history. Below is a chronological overview of the movies which made their lists. (You'll have to visit their site to see which one ranked as their best of the best. They've also included commentary for each entry.)
- Zulu - Battle of Rourke's Drift (1964)
- Tora! Tora! Tora! - Attack on Pearl Harbor (1970)
- A Bridge Too Far - Parachute Jump (1977)
- Apocalypse Now - Helicopter Attack (1979)
- Braveheart - Battle of Stirling (1995)
- Starship Troopers - Battle of Klendathu, Battle on Planet P (1997)
- Saving Private Ryan - Omaha Beach (1998)
- Gladiator - Battle in Germania (2000)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Helm's Deep (2002)
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - Pelennor Fields (2003)
- Return of the Jedi - Battle of Endor (1983)
- Dune - Battle of Arrakis (1984)
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Battle of Naboo (1999)
- Pearl Harbor - Attack on Pearl Harbor (2001)
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - Pelennor Fields (2003) [Yes, it's on both lists]
- King Arthur - Battle of Badon Hill (2004)
Of course these lists are all Elias and no Randal. I'll give you the hokey Ewoks, but c'mon! What about The Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back? I guarantee you it's better than Starship Troopers.